Resources for Students are provided for your research needs by the Middletown Board of Education or by funds provided jointly by the New Jersey Regional Cooperatives and the State Library.
Web-Based Subscription Programs for All Students
H.S. North & H.S. South
Please stop by the Library Media Center to pick up our remote access brochure with log-on information.
Britannica - Complete Encyclopedia on line, Internet guide to best web sites, and World Data Analyst (offers statistical portraits of the countries of the world).
- Issues - Offers authoritative historical context, expert perspective & selected primary and secondary sources on the most important issues of the day.
- World at War - Presents comprehensive information and unique insights into the military conflicts that have defined our world's identity from its beginning to today.
- EBSCOhost Web - Searchable full text of multiple databases (e.g. Academic Search, Health Source, ERIC, Business Source, History, Science, Biography, Library Abstracts, Professional Development, Green File), including over 170 professional and scholarly journals.
- Literary Reference Center - The primary goal of LRC is to assist students with homework and research assignments of a literary nature.
- NoveList - Comprehensive readers’ advisory solution for fiction lovers. NoveList will help you to answer the question of what to read next.
- Points of View - A full text database designed to assist researchers in understanding the full scope of controversial subjects.
- Student Research Center - Makes it easy for students to search by keyword or by topic to find the most useful search results. Results can be easily sorted by source type -- magazines, reference books, photos, flags, etc. Includes Teacher Resources.
- Referncia Latina -
- Legal Information Reference Center -
- Small Business Reference Center -
- Facts on File Programs:
- Bloom's Literary Reference – Examines great writers, important works, memorable characters, and influential movements and events in world literature.
- Curriculum Resource Center - Provides a library of printable teacher-handout material for the middle school, high school, and junior college curriculum.
- Ferguson's Career Guidance Center - Features detailed profiles of more than 3,300 jobs and 94 industries, invaluable advice on career skills, more than 48,000 resource entries, and much more!
- Health Reference Center - Clear and comprehensive information on conditions and diseases, health and wellness, mental health, and the human body.
- History Online - Six cross-searchable databases:
- Science Online - Presents a broad range of scientific disciplines through extensive definitions, essays, diagrams, biographies, and experiments.
- World Geography and Culture Online - Combines detailed, printable, full-color maps of countries, provinces, and states with up-to-date statistical and local information.
- Gale (INFOTRAC) Programs:
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - E BOOKS: eBooks for H.S. North Only · eBooks for H.S. South Only - This extensive collection of E-books, digitized from the print versions, contains over 350,000 documents. Includes publications from wide-ranging disciplines: Arts, Biography, Business, Education, Environment, History, Law, Literature, Medicine, Multicultural Studies, Nation and World, Religion, Science and Social Science.
- Global Issues in Context - Offers international viewpoints on a broad spectrum of global issues, topics, and current events. Includes unique "perspectives" articles written by local experts, reference, periodical, primary source, statistical information, and extensive multimedia.
- Informe Features resources for Spanish-speaking users, with full-text of popular Hispanic magazines, as well as terms & thesaurus.
- NJ Elite Newspapers – Features custom collections of more than 150 newspapers from around the world.
- Literature Resource Center - Provides access to biographies, bibliographies, critical analyses of authors, novelists, poets, essayists, and journalists by name, title, literary movement or literary theme. Includes recommended web sites.
- Opposing Viewpoints In Context - Access viewpoint articles, topics, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, & full-text magazine and newspaper articles.
- Science In Context - Thousands of science topics, experiments, biographies, pictures and illustrations. Illustrations.
- U.S. History In Context - More than 1,000 historical documents, 30,000 reference articles, 65 full-text journals covering themes, events, persons & periods in U.S. History.
- World History In Context - Draws on themes & trends from World History. Full-text articles from academic journals, maps & images and primary source documents.
- Jersey Clicks -
- JSTOR Collections - for research, teaching, and learning, with more than a thousand academic journals and over 1 million images, letters, and other primary sources including JSTOR Plant Science and JSTOR Aluka.
- Maps101 provides thousands of maps of various kinds.
- NoodleBib - Simplifies the process of creating and editing MLA and APA source lists.
- Oxford Music and Oxford Art Online - Comprehensive music and art research databases.
- Proquest Programs:
- CultureGrams - Daily life and culture for over 200 countries, the U.S. and Canada.
- eLibrary Curriculum Edition - Content specifically for K-12 schools, including more than 2,000 full-text and media sources.
- History Study Center - Historical reference from ancient to modern times.
- Proquest Learning Literature - Full-text literary resources, including criticism.
- Proquest Historical Newspapers - Cover to cover, full-page images from 1851 to 2001:
- World Book provides online access to all features of this encyclopedia.
Databases for H.S. South Only
Salem History includes the complete content of the following printed reference sets: The Decades - Salem's critically acclaimed American history series - which includes: The Sixties in America, The Seventies in America , The Eighties in America , The Nineties in America and The 2000s in America.
FactCite: Defining Moments - Defining
Moments series contains
authoritative, useful historical resources that will be of value to anyone
interested in learning more about America’s past—and in understanding how those
defining historical events continue to reverberate in the twenty-first
century. Includes overview, biographies, primary sources, and research
topics associated with the event. New events are added continually.
- Modern Genocide - Presents a comprehensive examination of 10 modern genocides, including
more than 120 primary documents. Hundreds of entries on atrocities,
organizations, individuals, and other aspects of fenocide.
- Pop Culture Universe - Popular culture is a highly significant form of living history—a
constantly evolving, collective experience shaped by the seemingly trivial
aspects of daily life. By examining what society as a whole has found
interesting, entertaining, or worthy of adulation, we can clearly perceive our
values and aspirations, revealing rare sociological and historical insights.